<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tidbits for Political Junkies with Short Attention Spans & Hearty Appetites

|

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

 

A Bridge, the Press, and Metaphor

Among the provisions for the upcoming RNC convention that caught my attention just a few weeks ago was the construction of a temporary bridge over Eighth Avenue. The idea was to provide convenient access for the press, between their encampments in the old Farley Post Office, and the convention itself across the Avenue in Madison Square Garden.

At the time, it occurred to me that this might also provide an interesting vantage point towards the protests outside, which will be conveniently corralled only a block or two below the point where the bridge passes.

Today, walking by the place, I was disabused of that notion.

The bridge itself, for all intents and purposes, is an above-ground tunnel – completely shrouded in blue canopies. As a result, the press will be able to travel between their own operations and the convention, directly through one of the busiest areas of the city, without ever making contact, or even seeing, the world outside.

While this seems an apt enough metaphor for the Republican Party, I had hoped it wouldn’t apply quite so obviously to the press as well.

Apparently not -- though I may yet be proven wrong.

I can’t rule out the possibility that those blinding canopies are just a temporary part of the construction process, and that – come the convention days – clear views will prevail.

But, between you and me, and I wouldn’t bet on it.


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?