<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tidbits for Political Junkies with Short Attention Spans & Hearty Appetites

|

Friday, April 23, 2004

 
Steak & Sushi


Steve Gilliard caught my attention recently with two food-related posts. The first was this rant, departing from a news clip about some schmo who buys his family takeout from the Outback Steakhouse once a week. I agree with Steve that you can do much better on your own grill – or even in a sauté pan, without a great deal of fuss. But I also understand the recurring reality of the overworked: I’m hungry, I’m tired, I haven’t even shopped for dinner yet, and the place is right on the way….

Temptation happens. The real shame, of course, is that the guy is going back to the same, crappy place every week. Which kind of defines the term “rut,” doesn’t it? Somehow, I don’t even want to know what this guy’s family eats the rest of the week.

Steve’s other post came just a couple of days ago, a paean to sushi, inspired by a New York Times piece the same day. Here, he finds a great argument for leaving certain foods to the experts, and I agree. Even the best chefs can’t be expert at everything – and sushi, good sushi, is a rarefied specialty.

Just how rarefied becomes clear in this piece, from New York Magazine – where Adam Platt (whose job I want) details the wonders of Masa, the new 26-seat temple of sushi that charges $300/person for dinner (less wine, taxes, and tip). It must be nice to get paid to go there.

My favorite bit in Platt’s review, though, was a brief quote from Masa Takayama himself, when asked which restaurants he had enjoyed since arriving in New York. Masa’s answer: “Peetah Lugah Steakhouse.” Figures.

(Peter Luger)

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?